Thursday, November 17, 2011

Glazing the Painting...before and after photos

The colors were a bit intense in the little painting I did yesterday called "Pasture 1" and I had mentioned that I was going to "antique" it with a glaze. Some of you asked to see the effect of this so here it is! I don't know why, but the painting is looking much brighter in photos than in person.: )

I love the patina of old oil landscape paintings hanging in the art museums. Something happens to the paint over time, it begins to darken and crackle, and this is so beautiful to me.

I have attempted to recreate this look a bit by doing a glaze over my finished painting (which unbelievably dried overnight, probably because I mixed the oil paint with a liquin gel).

Anyways, here are the before and after shots. I may put on another layer of slightly different colored glaze after this one dries...

Before:


far away...


After Glazing...



far away...

So, not a HUGE change, but just enough to tone it down and give it an older look. I think with most artists you can look at their work and tell a lot about them. What they like, how they feel, and what artists inspire them. Here is one of my favorite artists, Jan Van Goyen of the Dutch Golden (literally golden in color) period.

*image from Wikipedia


♥Linsey
Check out these awesome linky parties...

vif187





shabby creek cottage



The Shabby Nest

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating


24 comments:

Cindy Adkins said...

Lovely painting,Linsey! Thanks for sharing.
Cindy

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Glazing works very well for aging paintings. I love your landscape.

Heaven's Walk said...

Absolutely beautiful, Linsey. My dad used to paint landscapes like that and I have accumulated quite a few of them which I'll treasure forever. :)

xoxo laurie

Revi said...

Thanks, Linsey. It looks great!
-Revi

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Oh, I really like both looks.

carol l mckenna said...

Very well done and love the look especially after you glazed it! ~~ Thanks, namaste, Carol ~ (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF ^_^

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

Such a beautiful landscape painting! I love how a glaze can make things age a bit because I love things worn, vintage, & shabby! :)

WrightStuff said...

Gosh that really does make a difference. It seems to 'settle it' if that makes any sense and gives a greater depth. Lovely!

Abela said...

To achieve this look you like I utlized barnoz Dutch, the result is very good, I too like Cundo oils lose shine again. Saludos

Anonymous said...

this is lovely and I love the more mellow look beautiful

Anonymous said...

I stayed to look at your past posts and I'm your newest follower, great blog!

Nancy's Notes said...

That is just an awesome look! I'm happy I found your blog and I'll be following you now! Great blog~

Nancy

Netty said...

Beautiful painting and loving the glazes. Happy PPF and enjoy the weekend, x

EVA said...

A beautiful painting Linsey! And how synchronistic that PPF's poll and your post are about finishes.

It looks beautiful both ways though personally I prefer the stronger, more vibrant original colours myself.

Debbie said...

Very beautifully done! I love seeing how you used the glaze. Thanks for sharing your technique with us.

peggy aplSEEDS said...

that is a lovely painting and the glaze really gave it a different feel. thanks for sharing!
hugs,
peggy aplSEEDS

ANNE said...

What a gorgeous piece, love the look of it.

Molly said...

i like the effect of the glaze-- your painting is beautiful in both the before and after photos.

Mary C. Nasser said...

Love your cloud-scape, Linsey! :)

Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art

Erin said...

Linsey, your painting is so serene and peaceful. And the glazing certainly achieved the desired effect. :) Just found your blog and can't wait to look around--sounds like we like a lot of the same things!

Take care,
Erin @ Carolina Country Living
(visiting from Farmhouse Friday - link #13 - stop by, I'm holding a giveaway through Sunday!)

Ayala Art said...

Looks beautiful, very peaceful :o)

Robin Panzer Art said...

Beautiful painting, you create really wonderful clouds! ~Happy Paint Party Friday! #9 Robin Panzer Art Studio 33

Christine said...

Very nice painting, and a nice post!

JKW said...

I like the after glazing effect. Amazing the difference. Blessings, Janet PPF

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...