Friday, June 15, 2012

I need your suggestions...

     Texas doesn't offer a huge variety of choices in the "weekend getaway, cute and country quaint" arena. Ironically I live in Texas and my favorite thing to do is go away for the weekend to "cute and country quaint" places. To meet *my* personal criteria of cute & country quaint worthiness the location needs to offer:


1. Lots of good shopping. And by shopping I mean antiques, gift shops, cottages and even junk filled barns and warehouses. Anything but chain stores and malls (shudder)


2. Some history. Historic landmarks, windmills, settlements, cider mills, abandoned factories or farms,museums... even beautiful OLD cemeteries.


3. Great niche restaurants. I've eaten in barns, in old train cars, in Amish farmhouses. That kind of stuff.


     I've lived on the east coast and the west coast. Both offer gobs of getaway options that are within driving distance but Texas? Eh, not so much. Now don't get me wrong...there is a lot "to do" in TX. The Shopping and dining are first rate. Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and Fort Worth have lots to offer. But as far as cute and country quaint I only know of one place that meets all of my criteria. Fredericksburg! And I just booked our romantic weekend (no kids!!!). I'm pretty much as excited as a kid going to Sea World. I've gone to f'burg four times before and every time I fall more in love with it. If you'd like to see my post about the adorable Lavender Cottage full of farmhouse shabby antiques and lots of photos click •••••HERE•••••








Here are a few shots from my last visit...two summers ago.




Is there anything better than strolling down main street on a summer night with your sweetheart? 

We stayed in this adorable cottage, the "Carolyn". It was much bigger than it looks with a living room, dining area, kitchen and bedroom. So secluded and peaceful, yet within walking distance to everything!


 Being silly...




I love the European feel of this German settlement town...


We also spent hours at the newly expanded pacific war museum which is astonishingly big and high tech. My husband was in war history paradise.






I forgot he had the "beard" thing going on...LOL







 Soooo...I guess one of the reasons I'm throwing all of this out there is because I know some of you live in, or  know a lot about, Fredericksburg. I wanna hear it!!! Your favorite places to eat, shop, take pictures...


3 places that are musts are:
Homestead
Carol Bolton Hicks' New place http://carolhicksbolton.com/ 
The Herb Farm 


(and yes, I hear that Rather Sweet Bakery has closed or changed. I'm VERY sad about this!)


♥Linsey










     



12 comments:

A Thrifted Market said...

I love Fredricksburg! They have a large barn sale on the outskirts every 3rd weekend I believe. Comfort Tx not to far away is always a neat small town to visit. Salado Tx, Gruene (New Braunfels Tx) and Boerne are some of my other favorites. Hope you have a wonderful time with your hubby!

Cyndi ✪ Blue Star said...

When are you going? They have a flea market there once a month. I'm heading over there tomorrow! You might want to run over to Johnson City, too. For a future venture, you might want to check out the Sayles Ranch guest houses in Abilene. A MAZ ING decor! Lots of junky antique malls and great local food. Not as commercial or high priced as Fredericksburg so it might be worth the trip. You might also want to check out McKinney. enjoy your trip!

Revi said...

I've heard Salado near Austin is getting to be like Fredericksburg, and Granbury near Fort Worth is pretty cool, too. San Antonio's Mercado is fun, and I've found cool things there. Galveston's Strand was always a fun place to visit when I lived down there...
Have fun on your road trip!
-Revi

Anonymous said...

AMAZING POST:) Your blog is so wonderful and Im following.

If you want some décor inspiration from Sweden, check out my blog:)
Have an awesome week.

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
(Sweden)

Pamela said...

It sounds like you have a fabulous getaway planned Linsey! I have been trying to get hubby to take me there for our anniversary for the past few years now. We stopped and ate dinner there back in 09 and I just loved it! We ate at some italian restaurant which was super yummy. Thanx for sharing at THT!

Pamela said...

Oh and I forgot to tell you that we stayed at the most adorable hotel called The Hanger when we went to The HIll Country. It is actually an airport and there is a guy who comes in from time to time with an old plane that will take you up for rides...if ya pay him of course!;) I will email ya the link on the post I did about it.

Susan said...

When I first started reading your post, I thought.... what??? Then I read that you were going to Fredericksburg. Last summer we moved from Grapevine, TX to just south of Fredericksburg on Hwy. toward Kerrville. LOTS of quaint place in the area. In Fburg, check out a new store called Smitten. It's NOT on Main street and the prices are WAY better. Also, for food/beverages, check out Hondo's, Crossroads Saloon & Steakhouse and Silver Creek Restaurant & Beer Garden on Main Street. All great places! For shopping, Llano, north on Hwy. 16 from Fburg has great shops and better prices than Fburg. Also, Burnet has a great antique/junque shop on Hwy. 281 called Finds that I love. Good luck and have a wonderful time.

Shannon said...

Hey, Linsey~So glad you're coming to my neck of the woods! Definitely come by Smitten where Anne & I have our room of treasures~Would love to meet up with you if you have time!

Patty said...

How funny, Linsey ! When I started reading your criteria I thought, "she needs to go to Fred'burg!" Glad you already know the way. I was going to mention Smitten. New place that Anne Lorys is a part of (she of Fiona and Twig blogging fame). If you like hiking, you should go to Enchanted Rock. If you like flowers, see Wildseed Farms. Wine? Becker Vineyard. I think they also have a lavender farm -- there are more than a few in the area. Tons to do ! Look up everything on the local websites. Have fun !

Teresa said...

My mother and I went to Gruene, TX about 15 years ago and had a great time!

ShabbyESP said...

I just found your blog from Pinterest.
I love your home it is so pretty.
Enjoy your day
Suzann ~xoxo~

Jenny @ Faith + Pearl said...

If you've never been to Jefferson, Texas you HAVE to go! It's one of my most favorite towns on the planet! It's in north east texas....about 2 1/2 hours east of dallas. An hour south of Texarkana. You will not be disappointed!! :)

xoxo
jenny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...